The Weight of the World
Our shoulders are symbolic of how we hold our responsibilities. They represent being the initiator in connecting with loved ones, friends and acquaintances. Due to the increasing demands of society and growing obligations, it’s no surprise that so many people suffer from shoulder pains and frozen shoulders.
- Assuming responsibility as one’s duty. Carry the weight of the world like the Titan, Atlas.
- Feelings of overwhelm — life appearing that there is too much to do.
- All the have to’s, should’s, ought to’s, “obligations” reveal their weights here.
- Initiating connection with another — desire or unwilling to connect.
- Tense shoulders — not doing what one desires. Resisting demands reveals stress placed on shoulders.
- Knots — expressing heavy burdens. Protecting and walling off feelings.
- Frozen shoulders — emotional coldness and detachment, choosing to not connect.
- Raised shoulders — illustrating fear and worry.
- Hunched shoulders — protecting one’s heart. Overwhelmed by life’s challenges.
- Pain in shoulders — taking on/carrying someone’s burden, assuming all or most of responsibilities in life situations.
Our Back symbolizes storage of one’s life experiences.
- Where repressed anger, rage, resentment, feelings of guilt, shame, and fear reside.
- Charged memories/feelings of people or situations that have been pushed away, denied, ignored, disconnected, and detached from.
- Feeling unsupported, having been let down by someone close to us.
- Muscle tension caused by emotional tension and conflicts with friends or loved ones, fears of vulnerability, surrender, deep anger issues.